Lisinopril Side EffectsGeneric Name: Prinivil, ZestrilBrand Name: LisinoprilSome side effects of lisinopril may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.Consumer need to knowApplies to lisinopril: OralMost common lisinopril side effectsWe use lisinopril to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. It can be used as a supportive treatment in patients with MI (myocardial infarction). When the doctors recommend it to the patients, he is aware about lisinopril benefits which overweight its side effects.However the consumer should be informed about these side effects to protect himself in any possible complication. The most common prinivil (lisinopril) side effects are:
- headache, dizziness, diarrhea, drowsiness, cough.The below side effects can occur but less:
- difficult breathing, nausea, vomiting, fever, stuffy nose, fatigue, taste changes, fainting, chills, depressed mood, low energy, flu symptoms, allergic reactions, hoarse voice, gain weight, oliguria, anuria, hair loss, linitis, sensitive to light, hives, insomnia.
- muscle pain, chest pain, stomach cramps, indigestion, sore throat, muscle weakness, joint pain, infection of the nose or throat, face, lips, tongue or throat edema, gout.
- rash, mild skin itching, psoriasis, tingly feeling, jaundice, sun sensitive skin, flushing, blistering skin, toxic epidermal necrolysis.
- palpitations, low blood pressure, heart attack, slow heart rate, weak pulse, uneven heartbeats.
- hypoglycemia, extreme loss of water in the body, high amount of potassium in the blood, decreased neutrophiles and granylocytes.
- altered interest in having sexual intercourse, erectile dysfunction.There are others side effects of lisinopril but rare even though very serious as: kidney diseases, Steven-johnson syndrome, uncoordinated, life threatening allergic reaction, hemolytic anemia, toxic epidermal necrolysis, inflammation of the pancreas, fluid in the lungs, angioedema (intestinal, in neck and head).If the patents noticed one of these symptoms they should call the doctor immediately because an emergency medical help is needed.Side effects of lisinopril in particular organs and systemsIn controlled studies fatigue, asthenia and orthostatic are the negative effects that prinivil use has in body as a whole. Other side effects include: syncope, edema, malaise, infections.In cardiovascular system hypotension is the most known side effect of tensopril. In lower number heart pounding and chest pain (as Angina Pectoris) are reported. In 1% of the patients occurred palpitation and studies showed that patients with heart failure are more likely to have side effects that zestril may cause. Some rare but very serious cardiovascular problems include; MI, pulmonary embolism, atria or ventricular tachycardia, peripheral edema.Kidney can be harmed by lisinopril use too. There are reported cases during ACE inhibitors therapy with renal insufficiency, proteinuria, renal artery stenosis and a higher creatinine and BUN levels because of renal failure.In respiratory system the most common side effect of lisinopril use is cough, but other severe problems are reported even though not often: painful respiration, infections, common cold, influenza, nasal congestion, asthma, pneumonia, wheezing, pulmonary infiltrates, malignant lung, neoplasm etc.Nervous system is affected too. Headache, dizziness and parentheses are more reported but other problems are possible: vertigo, decreased libido. In a very low percentage the consumers experienced tremor, peripheral neuropathy, memory impairment, confusion, somnolence, stroke, ataxia, hypersonic, irritability and nervousness.Metabolic changes. A lower aldosteron will obviously cause a rise of potassium in blood. Diabetic patients have experienced a high effect of insulin in plasma causing hypoglycemia. Some patients reported gain weight while the others weight loss and dehydration.In gastrointestinal tract in a higher percentage are noticed nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, problems of taste and constipation. Other events reported in uncontrolled studies include: pancreatitis, hepatitis, flatulence, gastritis, dry mouth, dyspepsia, gastrointestinal cramps and heartburn.Hypersensitivity reactions of the lisinopril are mostly associated with angioedema of the face and neck, and in approximately 0.2% of the patients had angioedema of extremities, lips, tongue, glottis or pharynx.Side effects of lisinopril in skin are as below: hives, skin lesion, herpes zoster or other skin infections, skin reactions, flushing, coetaneous pseudolymphoma, etc.Hematologic events include: hemolytic anemia, low rates of leukocytes/neutrophyles, thrombocytes and rare cases of bone marrow problems.Liver problems are related with a syndrome which begins with jaundice from cholesterol, continues with hepatic necrosis and death.Endocrine changes are related with changes in HAD (anti diuretic hormone) secretion.Musculoskeletal injuries give pain; neck pain, hip pain, lumbago, leg, knee, shoulder, arm, low back or joint pain. Arthritis and arthralgia are reported too.Events in special senses include; problems of smell, visual loss or blurred vision, diplopic, photophobia, ringing in the ears.Clinical lab tests show; hyperkalemia, hyponatermia, higher levels of BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine, lower levels of Hb (hemoglobin) and Htc (hematocrit), elevations of liver enzyme, hepatic enzyme alterations and rarely elevation of serum bilirubin.Lisinopril use, avoiding its side effectsLisinopril for oral use is available in different tablets which change according to conditions of the patient. For example heart attack patients should start the treatment from the lowest dose (5mg). Prinivil is not recommended for use in ages under 6 and should not be used in pregnancy women. Patients should never take more than prescribed dose of Lisinopril by the doctor. They must not share their Lisinopril drug over with someone with the similar condition, because different patients effort the medicine impact in different ways.Before taking this medicine the consumer should tell the doctor if he/she is allergic to a specific product. Lisinopril should not be taken with potassium supplements, diuretics, aspirin and other no steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) because in combination with ACE inhibitors they cause other problems.In the end, the patients during the treatment with Lisinopril should not drink too much alcohol causes it can increase the Side effects.